A bit of History: Johann Haltermann
In our last post we explored ETS Racing Fuels' parent company Haltermann Carless. Specifically, Eugene Carless' role in helping to launch the automotive fuel industry with his "petrol" product at the end of the 19th century. Today, it's time to learn a bit more about the other half of Haltermann Carless, Johann Haltermann.
While Eugene Carless was busy working with Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz on automotive fuels in England, another petroleum distillery was starting up in Germany.
In 1898, Johann Haltermann founded a small refinery in the port of Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg. The company, which later became known as Johann Haltermann Mineralöl AG, specialized in refining crude tar into more valuable hydrocarbons and became well known and respected in the industry. But Johann, never content with standing still, continued to drive his company forward through technical advances and specialization.
In 1953 he revamped the factory in Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg with new refining equipment and distillation columns of his own design. His tireless efforts paid off, with Haltermann Mineralöl catching the eye of global chemical giant Dow Chemical who purchased them in 2003. In 2011 Haltermann's was purchased by HCS Group bringing together two extraordinary names to form one extraordinary company — Haltermann Carless.